Monday 8 October 2012

Review: Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn


Title: Kitty and the Midnight Hour
Author: Carrie Vaughn
Series: Kitty Norville #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Published: 1 November 2005Source of my copy: I purchased it.

 About the book (from Goodreads)

Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station - and she also happens to be a werewolf. One night, sick of the usual lame song requests, she accidentally starts 'The Midnight Hour', a late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged. Almost immediately she's deluged by calls from desperate vampires, werewolves and witches from all across the country, wanting to share their woes and ask her advice.

Kitty's new show is a raging success, but it's Kitty herself who could use some help, not least because her monthly change is a deep and dark secret to all but a very special few.

And when she finds one very sexy werewolf-hunter on her tail, not to mention a few homicidal undead, she realises she may just may have bitten off more than she can chew...


My Review

Kitty Norville is in many ways your average young urban female and happens to be a werewolf. Kitty starts a late night chat show for the supernaturally challenged by accident through boredom of doing the late night shift which she took through necessity. Suddenly her show is a real hit, she gets a raise, a desk & a researcher. Great right?


Unfortunately for Kitty her success becomes her problem. Someone is not happy about her show bringing attention to the supernatural set, which in Kitty’s world is hidden from Humanity. Is it the local vampires or her werewolf pack? Of course the story has both of these creatures; we’ve come to expect both if one is there right! Initially Kitty is not too worried, that changes when someone tries to kill her live on air. She does not want to give up her show so she sets out to find out what is going on. I think that’s all I’ll say here or I’ll be getting into spoilers (unless I’m actually the last person to read this book!)

I found Kitty to be a believable character; she was far from perfect and annoyed me a little sometimes – so it’s just like knowing someone in real life. That is why I liked her. However, I did not like the way she accepted some of the pack dynamics in the earlier stages of the story. I know the submissive wolves do as told, however I felt a little uncomfortable a few times with just how submissive Kitty was and what she put up with. I enjoyed seeing her grow as time went on.

Overall I enjoyed Kitty and the Midnight Hour, it is a fairly easy read and will appeal to those who enjoy the urban fantasy genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...