Thursday 4 October 2012

UK v US Cover ~ Moon Called

How important is the cover of a book to you?

I'm sure I notice them more because I often see a book I like and go off to buy it, only to find the version I get had a totally different cover. I'm in the UK just in case the blog post title didn't give it away! So I thought I'd start up a feature on comparing UK and US covers (might bring in ones from elsewhere too if it takes my fancy!) (Quick disclaimer, I know this is not original but I can't remember where I've seen it so can't credit!)

This week I am taking a look at Moon Called the first book in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. I recently read my copy which has been on my bookshelf forever, why on earth did I not read this book ages ago!! I have been missing out! Anyway back to the covers.....

US cover on the left and UK cover on the right!

















Which do you prefer?



Me?

To me the two covers for Moon Called look very different, if it wasn't for the book title there is little to suggest this is the same book. The US cover is a good example of an Urban Fantasy style cover, the strong sexy lead female with a few tattoos, slightly wild looking so we believe she could really shift. I like the imposing iron gate merging into mist and her hair flying in the wind.

I like the simplicity of the UK cover, the setting black and pale blue suggesting the scene is by moonlight, very appropriate. The moon is large, there are animals and countryside. The crouching female looks like she could be ready to pounce, I like that.

Overall I think I'll go with the simplicity of the UK cover in this case :-)

One final point, the cover on my edition is no longer the current UK cover. The new cover is different again, new style and very simple. Actually its typical of the style publishers are adopting for urban fantasy books in the UK recently.

Maybe you prefer this cover?? I think this is my favourite.


1 comment:

  1. I like the UK version better. It is just prettier. OF course in the USA they have to put a scantily clad woman on the cover!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...